Portability Information

HUD allows Housing Choice Voucher program participants to move both inside and outside of a Public Housing Authority’s jurisdiction. An eligible family that has been issued a voucher can lease a unit that meets program requirements anywhere in the United States, provided that a PHA administering a tenant-based program has jurisdiction in the area in which the unit is located. This feature is known as “portability.”

As of May 1, 2024, Fort Worth Housing Solutions is accepting billing for all clients that port to Fort Worth.

When the agency is billing, the administrative fee is $62.00. The FWHS Federal ID# is 75-6001818.

For questions about porting your housing assistance to Fort Worth from another community, email portability@fwhs.org or call 817-333-3605.

Subsidy Standards

Fort Worth Housing Solutions provides vouchers based on two persons per bedroom, with the exception of a two-bedroom voucher for a two-person household consisting of an adult and a second person age 10 or older.

Voucher Size Chart

1 person Efficiency
1-2 persons 1 bedroom

2 bedroom if a parent/guardian is living with a second person 10 or older

3-4 persons 2 bedrooms
5-6 persons 3 bedrooms
7-8 persons 4 bedrooms
9-10 persons 5 bedrooms
11-12 persons 6 bedrooms

Fair Market Rents

Fort Worth Housing Solutions operates under the Small Area Fair Market Rents guidelines.

Guidance for Program Participants

  • Be on time for in-person or virtual appointments.
  • All household members age 18 or older must sign required documents.
  • Bring a black or blue pen to your in-person interview.
  • Review the entire verification list and bring all required documents that apply to your household.

Required Documents

Program participants seeking to port into the Fort Worth housing market must submit each of the applicable documents below to Fort Worth Housing Solutions the intake interview:

  • Assets – Provide copies of last three months of financial statements from banks or other institutions. Include evidence of stocks, bonds, certificates of deposit, property and life insurance, including policy purchase date and cash value chart.
  • Birth certificate for each member of the household.
  • Childcare expense statement – Bring receipts for the past 30 days for all childcare expenses you paid for each of your children under the age of 13 or a letter from the childcare center on company letterhead describing your monthly childcare expenses. If an individual provides your child, provide a notarized letter from the provider specifying the amount paid, how often, the provider’s name, address and phone number.
  • Driver’s License or photo ID for each member of the household age 18 or older
  • Employment Proof – Check stubs for the three most recent pay periods and a letter from your employer on letterhead stating your rate of pay and the number of hours you work each week.
  • Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) verification of citizenship status
  • Marriage License and/or Divorce Decree
  • Medical costs (for Elderly and Disabled clients only) – Provide a printout of all out-of-pocket expenses, such as monthly prescription receipts, hospitalization policies and the amount you pay, etc.
  • School Enrollment Documentation for all minors and adults attending school.
  • Social Security cards for each household member.
  • Texas Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) and Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program (SNAP) Award Letters

Proof of Income

  • Child Support – Bring a statement printed from your Child Support Office or Attorney General’s Office.If child support is court-ordered, you must provide a copy of the court order or a current printout from the Attorney General’s Office. You also may provide your Customer Identification Number (CIN) to obtain a printout directly from the Attorney General website. If child support is paid directly to you, provide a notarized statement from the contributing parent specifying the amount paid, how often and for whom the support is intended. Include the name, address and phone number of the person providing support.
  • Social Security/SSI Income – Provide an award letter that is not more than 60 days old.
  • Veterans Administration Income – Provide award letter from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs that is not more than 60 days old)
  • Workers’ Compensation or Unemployment Benefits – Provide a letter or statement of benefits that is not more than 60 days old.
  • Other Contributions – Submit a notarized statement from each person who provides you funds describing how much support is provided and how often. Statements must be notarized.

Required Meetings

Interviews for program participants seeking to port into the Fort Worth Housing Solutions jurisdiction will be scheduled on the second and fourth Tuesdays of each month. Mandatory voucher briefings will be scheduled the following Thursday, or virtually if appropriate. Fort Worth Housing Solutions will communicate with prospective clients via the email address provided.


Program participants may deliver scanned documents via email to portability@fwhs.org or drop copies in the drop box in front of the FWHS Administration Building, 1407 Texas St., Fort Worth, Texas 76102.