I was notified that I have qualified for a rental assistance voucher. How do I find a unit to rent?

Category: Housing Choice Voucher Program

Housing Choice Voucher holders may use their rental assistance to lease any housing – single-family homes, townhouses and apartments – that meet the requirements of the programs. Vouchers may be used anywhere in Tarrant County except Arlington, which operates its own housing authority.

The most comprehensive, online list is published at www.affordablehousing.com. Users can search for properties by ZIP code, city and state, number of bedrooms and other criteria or find their own rental options.

To use a voucher outside of FWHS’ jurisdiction, the voucher holder must port the voucher to the housing authority in the area where the voucher intends to live. For new FWHS voucher holders, you must live in Fort Worth for one year in order to qualify for portability. Portability information is available at www.fwhs.org/portability/.

Tags: rental, unit